04 December, 2017

Remember How Blessed You Are

This morning my wife and I were in Peoria for an important business matter that finished up much faster than we thought it would, so we had time to spend together. We decided to drive over to East Peoria and have breakfast at Steak and Shake on the riverfront. The riverfront is one of my favorite places to hang out. I just have an affinity for water, and I love the view looking back into the city.
So, we are sitting there eating when my wife notices a man come in, who appeared to be homeless. He sat near the back of the restaurant and was bundled up. A few minutes later my wife asked the waitress if she knew if the man was homeless and she said that he was, and that for the past 3 months he has lived there on the riverfront and spends a great deal of time in Steak and Shake. My wife asked the waitress to bring us his check. When she went up to pay for our meals, she also purchased a gift card and asked the waitress to give it to the gentleman anonymously. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, the emotions of it just got to me and I began to weep as I said to my wife that could just as easily been us. It only takes a sudden turn of events and most any of us could find us jobless, homeless and destitute. I realized just how much I take for granted just how blessed we are. We struggle at times and it causes us to get weary, but then I see a vivid reminder right before my eyes that screams at me that I am blessed beyond measure.  I just wanted to share this today to maybe stir someone else to recognize for themselves that they are in fact blessed... and if you are in Christ Jesus, things are only going to get better!

No comments: