21 November, 2017

"It's All Your Fault!"

Yesterday I received a phone call from someone I had not spoken to in several years. This family used to be very active in the church and ministry but slowly drifted away from the church and I would say, from the Lord. After they had left the church, I frequently received phone calls and emails either asking for my help OR blaming me for the problems in their lives. I was accused of "failing" their family by allowing them to leave the church and things got so ugly that I finally told them that it was best that we parted ways. So… yesterday, out of the blue, many years later, I received a frantic phone call asking me to please come. I dropped my plans for Drive-Thru Prayer and went to see if there was anything I could do. I will not go into details as it is of a personal nature, but the family is facing a crisis of gigantic proportions and desperately need a miracle. When I arrived, I was a little apprehensive about going in because the last time we had spoken, years ago, it was so ugly with each family member trying to lay the weight of their situation on my shoulders. I prayed it would be different now.  It wasn't. 

Within a minute or so of my arriving the blame game started once again. It was all my fault. I did not love them enough to stop them from making the choices they made. Honestly, I was beginning to get a little steamed under the collar when it hit me… every charge they were throwing at me… they were leveling the same charges against God himself. I finally said to them that it was time that they collectively pull on their "big boy pants" and take ownership over the choices they had made and that not only could I not help them, but neither could God until they stopped pointing their accusing fingers at God and realize that God had absolutely nothing to do with the mess they were in. I told them that God was more than able and willing to help them, but he could do nothing until they confessed their sin (1 John 1:9) then got out of the way and allowed God to do what only he could do. 

Sadly, they were still mad and leveling accusations as I walked out of the door. I pray that God can somehow get through to them. He is their only hope.  Countless people find themselves in this exact situation. Rather than turn to God and say, "I blew it! Help!" The point their fingers at God and accuse, "It's all your fault!" Accepting ownership over our mess is two-thirds of the battle. God's just waiting to do his part, but he will not do it until we confess our sin. 

1 comment:

Lawrence Bishop said...

Nice postt thanks for sharing